Thursday, March 12, 2009

Profile Questionnaire

The profile focuses on the Greeley-based reggae band Trichome and their success with sending out an idealistic message in a conservative setting.

Initially, the most difficult part about constructing this profile was rounding up the band to conduct a group interview. Because of school and job conflicts, it took about a week before we could all sit down and discuss their experiences. However, once the interview started, the members of the band were extremely open during the process, which made getting answers quite easy.

During the writing process, I learned something I've never had to deal with before in writing: how to convey a message without disparaging the sources. I wanted to address the fact that the band's idealistic reactions to their supposed oppression came across as insincere. However, I needed to ensure the band did not feel attacked.

I believed I conveyed that message well. I kept the wording concise and straightfoward without connotative words. It was easy to follow.

When rewriting the story, I was informed that using parenthesis made the reading somewhat hard to swallow -- meaning the break in text throws the reader off and can cause the sentence to not flow as smoothly.

I'll continue to work on incorporating more vivid details into my stories. I must recognize a limit on word count does not mean my piece should have to lack effectiveness. Descriptions delivered in tight and concise wording can be just as propelling as long, wordy sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment